Where to buy your ticket
There are a number of places to buy your ticket in the Stockholm area.
SL Center is our own full-service ticket and travel information center. SL Centers are located at the Central Station in the lower hall as well as at the Metro stations T-Centralen, Slussen, Gullmarsplan, Fridhemsplan and Tekniska högskolan.
You can buy all types of tickets at all Metro stations' ticket offices.
Other ticket agents have the SL logo displayed on flags or stickers. There are about 350 agents with the full range of tickets, and about 420 agents with a smaller range of tickets, such as single use travelcards and zone tickets, throughout the Stockholm area. Find them by using the map on the start page, ticking the box for sales points.
SL Access tickets, travelcards and pay as you go-credit
If you will use SL public transport frequently during your stay, it is probably most convenient to have the reloadable SL Access card and purchase a ticket of your choice at the ticket machines or at a ticket agent to add on the card.
Travelcards for periods from 24 hours up to 1 year can be added to your SL Access card, as well as zone tickets and SL Access credit ('reskassa') for pay as you go tickets.
- SL Access self-service ticket machines at Metro and train stations (you need an SL Access card in advance to add your ticket to)
- Ticket offices at Metro and commuter rail stations
- SL Center
- Tickets agents, such as Pressbyrån, Seven-Eleven and certain supermarkets
- The web shop on the Swedish section of sl.se (available to add on to your card one day after purchase).
You buy the SL Access card for 20 SEK at ticket agents, Metro and commuter rail stations and and SL Centers, before you add tickets to the card.
Keep the card for your next visit. It is re-useable for up to six years.
Single use travelcards
These tickets are suitable for visitors. Available as single journey tickets, and for 24 hours and 72 hours. You can buy the cards in advance, the validity starts the first time you use them.
- SL Center
- Arlanda Airport
- Stockholm Central station
- Certain hotels
- Small scale ticket agents, such as tobacconists
Make sure to touch in on a card reader to start the validity on your first journey.
Single journey tickets
Single journe tickets can be bought in several different ways. All single journey tickets are valid for 75 minutes. Time starts when you buy the ticket, except for the tickets on single use cards, which can be bought in advance.
Buy your ticket:
- At SL Access self-service ticket machines - add to your SL Access card or print as paper ticket
- At the ticket office at Metro or commuter rail stations
- At ticket agents who sell single journey tickets on single use cards
- With the smart phone app "SL-Reseplanerare och biljetter" (SL Journeyplanner and tickets)
- With your mobile phone as text-me-a-ticket
- With SL Access credit ('reskassa') when boarding a bus, passing a barrier at the Metro station or from a conductor on trams or light rail trains, and on ticket posts on tram stops and ferry jetties.
Buy before boarding a bus or light rail lines
Our busdrivers and conductors on light rail trains* do not handle cash, so make sure you have a ticket when you board the bus or train.
* You can pay for your ticket with cash on the Stockholm City tramline for Djurgården.